- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup whole espresso beans
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Two 3-inch strips of lemon zest
- One 3-inch cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
- 8 firm, medium bananas
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Plain whole-milk yogurt, for serving
How to make this recipe
- In a medium saucepan, combine the water with the whole espresso beans and bring to a boil. Simmer the beans over low heat for 20 minutes. Add the sugar, strips of lemon zest and pieces of cinnamon stick and simmer over moderate heat for 5 minutes or until syrupy.
- Meanwhile, peel the bananas and slice them 1/2 inch thick on the diagonal. In a large, shallow dish, toss the bananas with the lemon juice.
- Pour the coffee bean syrup over the bananas and let stand until cooled to room temperature, then refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, about 2 hours. Spoon the bananas and coffee bean syrup over the yogurt and serve.
The coffee bean syrup can be prepared one day ahead; let cool then refrigerate overnight. Gently reheat the syrup before pouring it over the bananas.