© Kamran Siddiqi
Banana-Walnut Coffee Cake Muffin Tops
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8 muffin tops
These banana muffin tops taste slightly grown-up, thanks to the hit of espresso powder.
Slideshows: Baked Breakfasts
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons Silvana’s Kitchen Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed (about 3/4 cup)
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled, plus 1 tablespoon finely diced and chilled
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350° and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. In a large bowl, whisk the 1 1/2 cups of the flour with the baking powder, salt, cinnamon and espresso powder.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg with the granulated sugar, bananas, walnuts, melted butter and vanilla. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the dry ingredients.
- In a small bowl, using a fork, combine the remaining 2 tablespoons of flour with the brown sugar and the chilled butter cubes until coarse crumbs form.
- Using a large ice cream scoop, scoop 4 mounds of the batter onto each baking sheet. Sprinkle the batter with the crumbs and bake in the upper and lower thirds of the oven for about 14 minutes, until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean; shift the pans from top to bottom and front to back halfway through baking. Let the muffin tops cool slightly before serving.