- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- Kosher salt
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 cup brown sugar, plus 2 tablespoons for sprinkling
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter, for greasing the pan
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 overripe bananas, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups (about 6 ounces) raw walnuts, chopped
- Milk or cream and fresh berries, for serving
- Bring the quinoa, oats, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and water to a rolling boil in a large pot. Reduce heat, add the cinnamon and 1 cup brown sugar, and stir. Let the mixture simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once the water is absorbed into the grains, remove from heat, and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350º. Butter an 8-by-8-inch or 11-by-7-inch baking dish or two loaf pans and set aside. Lightly beat 2 eggs, then slowly add them to quinoa and oats mixture, stirring constantly. Add the baking powder, banana pieces and 1 cup of walnuts, and mix well. Transfer the mixture to the baking dish(es), and sprinkle 2 tablespoons of brown sugar and the remaining walnuts on top. Bake, uncovered, 25 to 35 minutes or until bubbly and brown on top. Let sit for 5 to 10 minutes, then serve.
The quinoa and steel-cut oats can be made a day ahead and refrigerated. Add eggs, baking powder, walnuts and freshly-sliced bananas before baking.