- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon whole-grain mustard
- 1 cup grapeseed or canola oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chopped capers
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chopped cornichons
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped white anchovy fillets (alici or boquerones; see Note)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped tarragon
- 1 banana, chopped
- Kosher salt
How to make this recipe
In a food processor, blend the egg yolks and mustard with 2 tablespoons of water. With the machine on, drizzle in the oil until emulsified. Transfer to a medium bowl and stir in the capers, cornichons, anchovies, parsley, tarragon and banana. Season the tartar sauce with salt.
The tartar sauce, without the banana, can be refrigerated for up to 1 day. Fold in the chopped banana just before serving.
White anchovy fillets are available in the deli section of specialty food shops.
Pan-roasted or fried fish, organ meats or sandwiches.