- 1 cup mashed overripe bananas (about 3 small bananas)
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 stick plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 350° and line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper or foil liners. In a large bowl, mix the mashed bananas with the brown sugar, egg, milk, vanilla and all but 1 tablespoon of the melted butter. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder, salt and 1/2 teaspoon of the cinnamon. Add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture and whisk until the batter is evenly moistened. Stir in 3/4 cup of the chopped walnuts. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffins cups.
In a small bowl, mix the granulated sugar with the remaining ¼ teaspoon of ground cinnamon and ¼ cup of chopped walnuts. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of melted butter and mix gently until moist crumbs form. Sprinkle each muffin with some of the streusel.
Bake the muffins for about 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean with a few moist crumbs attached. Let the muffins cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning them out onto a rack to cool completely.
The muffins can be stored in an airtight container for 2 days.