- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 9 whole graham crackers, coarsely crushed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup mashed banana
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and seeds scraped
- 2 bananas, peeled and sliced, for serving
- 1 pint banana or vanilla ice cream, for serving
How to make this recipe
Make the pudding
In a small bowl, whisk the cornstarch with 1/2 cup of water. In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup and salt with 1 1/2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Whisk in the cocoa powder, then whisk in the cornstarch slurry and cook until thick, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and whisk in the chocolate and butter until smooth. Scrape the pudding into a bowl and press a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface. Let cool, then refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.
Meanwhile, make the crumbs
In a bowl, toss the crushed graham crackers with the butter, honey, cinnamon and salt until evenly moistened.
Make the banana cream
In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, beat the cream with the sugar, mashed banana and vanilla seeds to stiff peaks.
Spoon the pudding into six 8-ounce jars or cups. Top with a sprinkling of the graham cracker crumbs, a layer of sliced bananas and a scoop of ice cream. Garnish the parfaits with a dollop of the banana cream and graham cracker crumbs and serve.
The pudding can be refrigerated for 3 days. The crumbs can be stored in an airtight container for 3 days.