Balsamic-Glazed Cipollini with Lemon and Bay Leaves
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS
- SERVINGS: 10
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 pounds cipollini onions
- Strips of zest from 1 lemon
- 4 fresh bay leaves
- 3 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a large saucepan, dissolve the sugar in the water. Cook over moderate heat without stirring until a medium-amber caramel forms, about 5 minutes. Off the heat, carefully add the butter and 1/2 cup of the balsamic vinegar. Return the saucepan to the heat and cook until the caramel is melted.
- Add the onions, lemon zest, bay leaves and chicken stock to the saucepan and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper and simmer over moderately low heat until the onions are very tender and glazed and the liquid is syrupy, about 1 1/2 hours. Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.