© Quentin Bacon
Balsamic Caesar Salad
- SERVINGS: 8
Balsamic vinegar is the secret ingredient in this Caesar salad.
Terrific Green Salads
- One 2-ounce can flat anchovies, drained and coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 2 heads romaine lettuce (about 1 pound each), torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup homemade or store-bought plain or Parmesan croutons
- In a mini food processor, combine the anchovies with the vinegar, mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and pepper; process until finely chopped. With the machine on, add the olive oil in a steady stream. Add the cheese and pulse just until combined.
- In a bowl, toss the lettuce, onion and croutons with half of the dressing. Add the remaining dressing, toss well and serve.