Balmy Crab Salad
- SERVINGS: 4
Plus: More Seafood Recipes and Tips
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 6 hard-cooked eggs
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon best-quality curry powder
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped mango chutney
- 8 ounces jumbo lump crabmeat, picked over for shell and cartilage
- 2 cups mesclun, rinsed and dried
- 2 tablespoons Lime-Garlic Vinaigrette
- 1 medium ripe banana, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 2 tablespoons finely snipped fresh chives, for garnish
- To make the yogurt dressing for the crab, combine the yogurt, garlic, lime zest, 1 tablespoon of lime juice and the paprika in a food processor and process until smooth. Remove to a bowl until ready to use.
- Halve the hard-cooked eggs lengthwise. Remove the yolks and finely chop them; set aside the whites. In a bowl, mix together the egg yolks, mayonnaise, curry powder and chutney. Spoon the mixture into the egg white halves and set aside, loosely covered.
- In a bowl, toss the crabmeat with 1/4 cup of the yogurt dressing. (Reserve the rest of the dressing for another use.)
- To assemble the salad, toss the mesclun with the Lime-Garlic Vinaigrette and arrange it on 4 dinner plates. Spoon the dressed crab on top of the greens.
- Toss the banana slices with the remaining 1 tablespoon of lime juice. Alternate the stuffed eggs (3 halves per person) and banana slices around the greens and crab. Sprinkle the salads with the snipped chives and serve.