Baked Three-Bean Casserole with Crispy Bacon
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 3 HR
- SERVINGS: 6
By doctoring three different types and sizes of canned beans with barbecue sauce and bacon, Perry Lang creates an outrageously good version of baked beans. He often cooks his beans over a fire in a cast-iron casserole but we adapted the recipe for baking in an indoor oven.
Delicious, Quick Side Dishes
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- Kosher salt
- 2 cups Sweet and Sticky Barbecue Sauce mixed with 1/2 cup water
- Two 15 1/2-ounce cans baked beans
- One 19-ounce can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- One 19-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 slices lean bacon
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the garlic, green pepper, onion, ginger and 1 teaspoon of salt and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, about 8 minutes. Add the diluted Sweet and Sticky Barbecue Sauce and all of the beans and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer the beans to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish and arrange the bacon strips on top. Bake the beans for 45 minutes, or until bubbling and the bacon is crisp. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.