© Lisa Linder
Baked Pastry Shell
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes one 9-inch tart shell
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 to 3 tablespoons ice water
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a food processor, pulse the flour and salt. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles small peas. Add the egg yolk and 2 tablespoons of ice water and pulse just until the dough holds together when pinched; if necessary, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of ice water. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Flatten into a disk, wrap in plastic and chill until firm, 1 hour.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to a 12-inch round, about 1/8 inch thick. Transfer to a 9-inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom. Push a rolling pin over the top to trim any overhang. Prick the bottom in several places with a fork.
- Line the tart shell with foil and fill with pie weights. Bake for 25 minutes, until the shell is lightly colored around the edge. Remove the foil and weights and bake for 10 minutes, or until golden. Let cool before filling.