Baked Huevos Rancheros
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Traditional huevos rancheros are fried eggs served over tortillas and smothered in sauce and cheese. Here, Grace Parisi bakes eggs, tortilla chips and cheese in a seasoned tomato sauce in individual gratin dishes. For more sophisticated eaters, swap pepper Jack for the Monterey Jack to get a spicy kick.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 small green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- One 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 cups tortilla chips
- 8 large eggs
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add the onion, bell pepper, jalapeño, garlic and oregano. Season with salt and pepper and cook over high heat, stirring, until lightly browned, 5 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and water and simmer for 5 minutes, until slightly thickened.
- Spoon the sauce into 4 individual, shallow baking dishes and arrange the tortilla chips around the sides. Crack 2 eggs into each dish and sprinkle with the cheese. Set the dishes on a baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the egg whites are set and the yolks are still runny. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve right away.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.