Baked Egg and Asparagus Gratins
- TOTAL TIME: 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 1/4 pounds asparagus, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs, preferably panko
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a pie plate, toss the bread crumbs with the melted butter. Bake for 6 minutes, stirring once, until golden.
- Meanwhile, fill a medium saucepan with water and bring to a rapid boil. Add the asparagus and cook until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Drain the asparagus and refresh under cold running water, then pat dry.
- In a small saucepan, simmer the heavy cream with the sliced garlic; season with salt and pepper. Arrange the asparagus in 4 individual-size gratin dishes and season with salt and pepper. Crack 2 eggs into each gratin dish, pour the garlic cream on top and sprinkle all over with the buttered crumbs. Bake the eggs for 15 minutes, or until the whites are firm and the yolks are still runny. Serve at once.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.