- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 ounces pancetta, sliced 1/4 inch thick and diced
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 4 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 cup pine nuts (5 ounces)
- 2 large heads of Savoy cabbage (about 2 1/2 pounds each), cored and finely shredded
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Diced red bell pepper (optional)
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 350°. In a large enameled cast-iron casserole, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the pancetta and onions and cook over moderately low heat until the onions are translucent, about 12 minutes. Add the cumin seeds and pine nuts and cook, stirring until fragrant, about 5 minutes longer. Gradually stir in the cabbage, adding more as it wilts.
Cover and bake the cabbage for 20 minutes, stirring twice, until the cabbage is almost tender. Alternatively, cover and cook the cabbage on the stove for 20 minutes over moderately low heat, stirring twice. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a platter. Sprinkle with the diced red bell pepper and serve.
The cabbage can be cooked and refrigerated overnight.