- 4 baking apples, such as Rome Beauty or Cortland, cored
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped raisins
- Pinch of freshly ground cardamom
- Pinch of freshly ground nutmeg
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- Heavy cream, for serving (optional)
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 400°. Set the apples in a small baking dish so they don't touch one another.
In a small bowl, mix together the sugar, walnuts, raisins, cardamom, nutmeg and cinnamon. Spoon the mixture into the apples and top each with 1/2 teaspoon of butter. Loosely cover the apples with foil and bake for about 45 minutes, or until the apples are just tender when pierced. Serve warm or at room temperature, with heavy cream if desired.