- 3 tablespoons slivered blanched almonds, lightly toasted
- One 2.3-ounce box of amaretti, finely crumbled
- 1/3 cup dried currants
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 4 Fuji apples (about 7 ounces each)
- 1 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 375°. In a medium bowl, mix the almonds with the amaretti crumbs, currants, brown sugar, cinnamon and lemon zest. Add the butter and mix with your fingers until the filling resembles coarse meal.
- Using a sharp knife, cut a 1/4-inch-thick slice from the top and bottom of each apple. Working from the stem end and using a melon baller, apple corer or sharp knife, remove the interior core and seeds to within 1/2 inch of the bottom. Using a paring or channeling knife, score the apple skin lengthwise at 1 1/2-inch intervals. Arrange the apples so they don't touch in an 8-inch square baking dish and spoon the filling into them, mounding any remaining filling on top. Pour the apple juice and rum around the apples.
- Bake the apples for 20 minutes. Cover loosely with foil and bake for 45 to 50 minutes longer, or until the apples are very soft. Transfer the apples to plates with a spatula. Spoon the pan juices on top and serve.
One Serving Calories 339 kcal, Total Fat 10.7 gm, Saturated Fat 4.1 gm, Protein 3 gm, Carbohydrates 59 gm.