- 2 pounds large shrimp, shelled and deveined, tails left on
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Juice of 1 lime
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons Annatto Oil or corn oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 6 scallions, white and light green parts, minced
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, minced
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, minced
- 6 plum tomatoes, minced
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 Scotch bonnet or habanero chile, halved and seeded
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro leaves and stems
- Lime wedges, for serving
- In a large bowl, toss the shrimp with the garlic, lime juice and 1 teaspoon of salt. Let marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat the Annatto Oil until shimmering. Add the onion, scallions and red and green bell peppers and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the minced tomatoes and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to moderately low and add the tomato sauce, coconut milk, chile and 1 teaspoon of salt. Simmer until the sauce is reduced by one-fourth, about 10 minutes. Increase the heat to moderately high. Add the shrimp and cook, stirring, until they're pink and opaque, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a serving dish and discard the chile. Sprinkle with the cilantro and serve with lime wedges.
To complement the sauce here, look for a fruity, lightly spicy and aromatic white, such as an Argentinean Torrontés.