- 4 large eggs
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 10 cups mixed greens, such as romaine hearts, endive and watercress, coarsely chopped
- 1 Hass avocado, cut into 1-inch dice
- Eight 3/4-inch-thick slices of Tuscan or peasant bread, cut from a large oval loaf
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 10 anchovy fillets, coarsely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
- Put the eggs in a small saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat, cover and let stand for 12 minutes. Drain and rinse the eggs under cold water, shaking the pan to crack the shells. Peel and coarsely chop the eggs and transfer to a large bowl. Add the tomatoes, greens and avocado.
- Meanwhile, light a grill or heat a grill pan. Brush the bread lightly on both sides with oil and grill until toasted.
- In a medium skillet, cook the anchovies and garlic in the 1/2 cup of olive oil over moderate heat, stirring, until the garlic is lightly browned and the anchovies are nearly dissolved, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the lemon juice; gently swirl the pan to blend. Immediately pour the hot dressing into the salad and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Mound the salad on half of the toasts and close the sandwiches. Cut the sandwiches in half and serve right away.
Unoaked, fruity Italian Chardonnay.