© William Meppem
Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp with Passion Fruit Mustard
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 50 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4 first-course servings
Jean-Georges Vongerichten planned to punch up his shrimp with a simple mustard sauce, but the spectacular passion fruits on Bora Bora gave his sauce a tangy kick. Store-bought passion fruit juice also works well.
More Shrimp Recipes
- 1 cup passion fruit juice
- 1 Thai red chile, halved lengthwise
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 Thai green chile, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 8 large shrimp, shelled and deveined with tails left on
- 8 thin slices lean bacon
- 1 Hass avocado, quartered and thinly sliced
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 passion fruit, halved and seeds scooped out (optional)
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish
- In a small saucepan, boil the passion fruit juice with the red chile until reduced to 1/4 cup, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, toast the cumin seeds over moderate heat until fragrant. Add the honey and green chile and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat and let stand for 15 minutes. Strain the honey and stir in 1 teaspoon of the water.
- In a bowl, blend the dry mustard with the remaining 2 teaspoons of water; let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in the Dijon mustard. Strain the reduced passion fruit juice into the mustard and season with salt.
- Light a grill. Wrap each shrimp in a slice of bacon. Grill the shrimp over moderately high heat, turning a few times, until the bacon is lightly charred and the shrimp are cooked throughout, about 4 minutes.
- Fan the avocado slices on each plate and top with the shrimp. Spoon the mustard around the shrimp, then spoon the honey around the mustard. Drizzle the shrimp with olive oil, garnish with the passion fruit seeds and cilantro and serve.