Bacon-Wrapped Chicken Breasts
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 thyme sprigs, plus 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 8 slices of thick-cut bacon (1/2 pound)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound chicken livers, trimmed
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 1 cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Place a thyme sprig on top of each breast half and wrap each half in 2 slices of bacon; secure the bacon with toothpicks.
- Heat a large, ovenproof skillet. Add the chicken and cook over moderately high heat until the bacon is browned, 5 minutes. Turn the chicken and roast in the oven for 10 minutes, or until cooked through. Add 1 tablespoon of the butter and the chopped thyme to the pan and baste the chicken. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil. Season the livers with salt and pepper. Cook over moderately high heat until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Add the shallot and garlic and cook until softened. Add 2 tablespoons of the vinegar and cook for 2 minutes. Add the stock and the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and simmer over low heat until the livers are firm. Puree the livers in a blender and strain through a very fine sieve set over a saucepan. Stir in the remaining oil and vinegar; season with salt and pepper.
- Discard the toothpicks and thickly slice the chicken. Spoon the sauce onto plates, top with the chicken and serve.
This hearty bacon-wrapped chicken would be delicious with a rich, minerally white; Gramercy Tavern beverage director Juliette Pope suggests an Austrian Grüner Veltliner.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.