Bacon Rings with Avocado
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: MAKES 16 RINGS
- 16 thin slices of lean bacon (about 3/4 pound)
- 4 large carrots (1 1/2 inches in diameter)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 small avocado, sliced 1/4 inch thick lengthwise, slices halved crosswise
- 1 cup alfalfa sprouts
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Lay 4 slices of the bacon side by side on a work surface. Place a carrot at 1 end and roll up the carrot in the bacon slices. Transfer the carrot to a rimmed baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining bacon and carrots. Bake for about 45 minutes, or until the bacon is crisp. Let cool slightly, then carefully loosen each bacon ring and slide it off the carrot, keeping the ring intact. Stand the rings up and let cool.
- In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise with the hot sauce and season with salt. When a carrot is cool enough to handle, cut it into 3-inch-long matchsticks. Save the other carrots for another use.
- To assemble a ring, gently press 3 carrot sticks together with 2 avocado slices. Spread a thin layer of the mayonnaise mixture all around them and then roll in alfalfa sprouts. Gently press this filling into a bacon ring, pushing it in only halfway or just far enough to hold together. Repeat to form the remaining bacon rings. Transfer to a platter and serve at room temperature.
Make AheadThe bacon rings can be refrigerated overnight. Reheat in a 350° oven for 2 minutes, or until sizzling.