Bacon Quinoa with Almonds and Herbs
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 thick slices of applewood-smoked bacon, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 sage sprig
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the almonds in a pie plate and toast in the oven until golden brown, 4 minutes; let cool.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil. Add the bacon and cook over moderately high heat until the fat has rendered, about 2 minutes. Add the shallot and cook, stirring a few times, until softened but not browned, about 1 minute. Add the quinoa, stock and sage and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat until the stock has been absorbed, about 17 minutes. Remove the quinoa from the heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Discard the sage and fluff the quinoa with a fork. Stir in the chives, parsley and toasted almonds. Season the quinoa with salt and pepper and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.