- One 10-ounce bag of curly spinach (16 cups), thick stems discarded
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Kosher salt
- 12 thick slices of bacon
- Canola oil, for frying
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced crosswise
- 4 cups cold cooked medium-grain white rice
- 4 cups cold cooked medium-grain brown rice
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 medium celery rib, julienned
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 6 large eggs
- 1 Hass avocado—peeled, pitted and sliced
- Pickled vegetables, such as okra, long beans and radishes, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a large saucepan of salted boiling water, blanch the spinach until wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain well and let cool slightly, then squeeze dry. In a medium bowl, toss the spinach with the sesame seeds and sesame oil. Season with salt.
In a very large skillet, cook the bacon over moderately high heat, turning, until crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel–lined plate to drain. Pour off the fat from the skillet and heat 1/4 inch of canola oil. Add the shallots and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until golden and crisp, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the shallots to a paper towel–lined plate to drain.
In a bowl, toss the white and brown rices with the oyster sauce, soy sauce and Sriracha until well coated. In a wok or the wiped-out very large skillet, melt the butter. Add the onion and celery and cook over moderate heat until just starting to soften, about 2 minutes. Add the rice and stir-fry over high heat until hot, about 5 minutes. Stir in half of the scallions and season with salt and pepper; keep warm.
Heat a large nonstick skillet and brush with oil. Crack half of the eggs into the skillet and cook sunny side up, about 4 minutes. Transfer the eggs to a plate. Brush the skillet with oil and fry the remaining 3 eggs.
Spoon the fried rice into shallow bowls and top with the spinach, avocado, bacon, fried shallots, fried eggs and the remaining scallions. Serve with pickled vegetables.
Pair this dish with a zesty, white-peach-scented Albariño.