- 3 medium cucumbers—peeled, halved, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 ounces sliced bacon
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Toasted country bread, for serving
- In a medium saucepan, combine the cucumbers with the vinegar, water, butter and sugar and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over moderately low heat for 5 minutes. Uncover and cook over moderate heat until the sauce thickens slightly and the cucumbers are crisp-tender, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the bacon and cook over moderate heat until crisp, about 8 minutes. Drain the bacon on paper towels. Fry the eggs in the same skillet until the yolks are soft but not runny. Transfer the eggs to a cutting board and coarsely chop them.
- Gently stir the eggs into the cucumbers. Coarsely crumble in the bacon and toss gently. Spoon the salad onto plates, sprinkle with parsley and serve with the toast.
The Nonvintage Taylor Fladgate Chip Dry white port, with its delicate nose and hint of oak, is a perfect complement to the flavors of the hot bacon and cucumber in this salad.