Bacon-Crusted Pork Loin Roasts
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 40 MIN plus overnight marinating
- SERVINGS: 10 to 12
Marcia Kiesel rubs a bacon paste inflected with mustard and caraway seeds over bone-in pork loin roasts before cooking them until brown and crusty.
Plus: Ultimate Holiday Guide
- 12 ounces sliced bacon, chopped
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- Two 4-rib, bone-in pork loin roasts (3 1/2 pounds each)—chine bones removed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a food processor, combine the bacon, mustard seeds, caraway seeds, vegetable oil and ground ginger and process to a paste. Set the pork loin roasts on a large rimmed baking sheet. Spread the bacon paste over the meaty side of the roasts and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Bring the roasts to room temperature and season all over with salt and pepper. Set the pork in a roasting pan, fat side up. Roast in the upper third of the oven for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the roasts registers 150°. Transfer the roasts to a carving board and let rest for 10 minutes. Carve the roasts and serve.
Rich, spicy Zinfandel.