- SERVINGS: Makes a 17-by-13-inch focaccia
- Basic Herb Focaccia
- 1 pound 1/4-inch-thick lean bacon slices, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded Jarlsberg cheese (about 6 ounces)
- Olive oil and cornmeal, for the baking sheet
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten with 1 teaspoon water
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds or sesame seeds, or a combination
- Melted unsalted butter or olive oil, for brushing
- Coarse salt, for sprinkling
- Follow the recipe for Basic Herb Focaccia through Step 3. While the dough rises, cook the bacon in a medium saucepan over moderately high heat, stirring, until crisp, about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain. Let cool.
- Punch down the dough, turn out onto a work surface and knead in the bacon and cheese, distributing them evenly. Return the dough to the bowl, re-cover and let rise again until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Brush olive oil over the bottom and side of a 17-by-13-by-1-inch black steel or heavy aluminum baking sheet. Line the bottom with parchment paper. Brush the paper with more oil and sprinkle the pan with cornmeal, tapping out any excess.
- Proceed with Step 6 of the Basic Herb Focaccia recipe, but before you set aside the dough to rise, gently brush it with the egg white and sprinkle the seeds on top.
- Preheat the oven as directed in Step 7. Gently brush the risen dough with enough melted butter or olive oil to coat lightly. Dip your fingers in flour and make many indentations in the dough. Sprinkle the coarse salt on top. Bake according to Step 9.