Bacon Burgers with Cilantro-Yogurt Sauce
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
Instead of making a simple burger, chef and cookbook author Suvir Saran mixes ground beef chuck with bacon, scallions, mint and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese for stellar flavor.
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 jalapeños, chopped
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 1/2 pounds ground chuck
- 1/2 pound bacon, minced (1 cup)
- 6 scallions, white and light green parts only, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped mint
- 3/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- Canola oil, for brushing
- 8 toasted hamburger buns
- Sliced tomatoes and onions, lettuce, ketchup, mustard and Sriracha, for serving
- In a food processor, puree the yogurt, jalapeños, cilantro, ginger, onion, sugar and 1 teaspoon of the salt until smooth. Transfer to a bowl.
- In another bowl, mix the ground beef with the bacon, scallions, mint, cheese, lemon zest, lemon juice, black pepper, cayenne and the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt. Form into eight 1-inch-thick patties.
- Heat a cast-iron griddle and brush with oil. Cook the burgers over moderate heat, turning once, until charred outside and medium within, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Spread some of the yogurt sauce on the bottom buns, top with the burgers and layer with toppings. Close the burgers and serve.
Juicy, concentrated Malbec.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.