© Kristen Strecker
Bacon and Tomato Salad
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 6
- 3 pounds tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 12 basil leaves, torn
- 1 small red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 pound sliced bacon
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 3/4 teaspoon Cajun spice mix
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- Dash of hot sauce and crusty bread, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 450°. In a bowl, toss the tomatoes, basil, onion, olive oil and vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Set a wire rack on a baking sheet and arrange the bacon slices in a single layer on the rack. Bake the bacon in the upper third of the oven for 15 minutes, turning once, until golden and crisp-chewy. Let cool, then break into small pieces.
- In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the mustard, curry powder, Cajun spice mix, lemon juice, garlic and hot sauce.
- Sprinkle the bacon over the tomato salad and serve the mayonnaise and bread on the side.