Bacon and Onion Congee
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Crisp bacon, chicken stock and sautéed onions make this congee rice porridge even more hearty, flavorful and satisfying.
- 8 slices uncooked bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 7 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup raw long-grain white rice, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook bacon pieces until crisp then remove bacon and blot on paper towel. Set bacon aside. Reserve 2 tablespoons of bacon oil for the next step.
- Heat a large pot and add bacon oil. Add onion and cook till soft and slightly brown and crisp, but not burnt.
- Add chicken stock, rice and salt. Bring the stock to a boil, then reduce the heat to a low simmer. Stir occasionally so that the rice doesn't clump or burn at the bottom.
- Add the cooked bacon pieces, additional salt to taste and fresh cracked black pepper. Serve hot.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.