© Todd Porter & Diane Cu
Bacon and Onion Congee
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Crisp bacon, chicken stock and sautéed onions make this congee rice porridge even more hearty, flavorful and satisfying.
Slideshow: Healthy Bacon Recipes
- 8 slices uncooked bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 7 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup raw long-grain white rice, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook bacon pieces until crisp then remove bacon and blot on paper towel. Set bacon aside. Reserve 2 tablespoons of bacon oil for the next step.
- Heat a large pot and add bacon oil. Add onion and cook till soft and slightly brown and crisp, but not burnt.
- Add chicken stock, rice and salt. Bring the stock to a boil, then reduce the heat to a low simmer. Stir occasionally so that the rice doesn't clump or burn at the bottom.
- Add the cooked bacon pieces, additional salt to taste and fresh cracked black pepper. Serve hot.
NotesAs the congee cools, it will become thicker. Add additional stock or water if necessary to make the congee to your desired thickness.