- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 strips of bacon, chopped (3/4 cup)
- 4 cups chopped mixed vegetables, such as onions, broccoli, carrots, bell peppers and snap peas
- Freshly ground pepper
- One 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and julienned (1 tablespoon)
- 3 garlic cloves, very thinly sliced
- 6 cups cooked white rice
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 4 large eggs
- Hot sauce, for serving
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 400°. In a large nonstick ovenproof skillet or wok, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over moderately high heat. Add the bacon and cook, stirring, until browned and crisp, about 6 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain.
Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Add the vegetables, season with salt and pepper and stir-fry over moderately high heat until crisp-tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the ginger and garlic and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add the rice and stir-fry until heated through, about 2 minutes. Stir in the bacon and tamari and season with salt and pepper.
Using the back of a spoon, make 4 nests in the rice. Crack an egg into each nest. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 5 minutes, until the egg whites are just set and the yolks are runny. Serve the fried rice at once, with hot sauce.