Baby Squid with Peas and Prosciutto
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 cups thawed frozen baby peas
- 1 1/2 pounds cleaned small squid—bodies sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick, tentacles left whole
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup dry white wine
- In a large saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the onion and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Stir in the prosciutto and cook over moderate heat until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add the peas, cover and cook for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil until shimmering. Add half of the squid, season with salt and pepper and cook over high heat, stirring once, until just white throughout, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the squid to the saucepan with the peas and cover. Repeat with the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and squid.
- Add the white wine to the skillet and boil over high heat until reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Scrape the wine into the saucepan and cook over moderate heat until the squid and peas are just heated through, about 30 seconds. Serve right away.
A favorite of the owners of Castel de Paolis, this simple dish tastes great with a zippy Italian white blend.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.