Baby Romaine with Green Goddess Dressing
- TOTAL TIME: 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
Fanny Singer says she could eat this salad every day; she loves all the shades of green and the fragrance of the herbs. The dressing makes more than enough for this salad, so serve the extra with cold poached fish. Or use it in lobster rolls instead of mayonnaise, as Alice Waters did for Fanny's last birthday dinner.
Terrific Green Salads
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 large egg yolk, at room temperature (optional)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 ripe avocado, mashed
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped tarragon
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds baby romaine lettuce heads, halved or quartered
- In a small bowl, combine the shallot with the garlic, vinegar and lemon and lime juices. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, beat the yolk with a whisk. Gradually add half of the olive oil in a thin drizzle, whisking constantly. Add 1 tablespoon of liquid from the shallot mixture, then whisk in the remaining olive oil. Add the avocado and mash it in with a fork. Whisk in the remaining shallot mixture and the herbs and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the lettuce to bowls, top with some of the dressing and serve.