- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 large egg yolk, at room temperature (optional)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 ripe avocado, mashed
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped tarragon
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds baby romaine lettuce heads, halved or quartered
In a small bowl, combine the shallot with the garlic, vinegar and lemon and lime juices. Let stand for 5 minutes.
In a medium bowl, beat the yolk with a whisk. Gradually add half of the olive oil in a thin drizzle, whisking constantly. Add 1 tablespoon of liquid from the shallot mixture, then whisk in the remaining olive oil. Add the avocado and mash it in with a fork. Whisk in the remaining shallot mixture and the herbs and season with salt and pepper.
Add the lettuce to bowls, top with some of the dressing and serve.