- 3 large leeks, white and tender green parts only, sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick and separated into rings
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 1 cup Rich Turkey Stock or low-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Three 10-ounce boxes frozen baby peas, thawed
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water
How to make this recipe
- Wash the leeks well and pat dry. In a large saucepan, heat 1/2 inch of oil until shimmering. Add all but 1/2 cup of the leeks and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the leeks to a paper towel–lined plate. Discard the oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large, deep skillet, cook the bacon over moderately high heat, turning once, until golden, about 5 minutes. Drain the bacon on paper towels and crumble.
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup of leeks and the thyme to the fat in the skillet and cook over moderately low heat until the leeks are softened, about 8 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of the Rich Turkey Stock and cook over moderate heat until it is reduced by half, about 7 minutes. Add the heavy cream and cook over moderately high heat until it is reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Stir in the peas, crumbled bacon and the remaining 1/2 cup of stock and bring to a boil. Discard the thyme sprigs. Season with salt and pepper. Add the cornstarch mixture and cook until the sauce is slightly thickened, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer the peas to a bowl and top with the crispy leeks just before serving.
The crispy leeks can be stored overnight in an airtight container. Recrisp in a 350° oven.