- 1 1/2 teaspoons wasabi powder
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar or 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar mixedwith a pinch of sugar
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh chives
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup ice water
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup chive flowers with 1 inch of stem attached (about 2 ounces)
- 6 cups baby greens
- Freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
In a small bowl, whisk the wasabi powder with the vinegar and 1 1/2 teaspoons of water. Whisk in the peanut oil until emulsified and season with salt. Stir in the minced chives.
Heat 3/4 inch of vegetable oil in a small saucepan. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, ice water and egg yolk; the batter will be a little lumpy. Working in batches, dip one-third of the chive flowers in the batter and add them to the oil. Cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly golden and crisp, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a rack to drain and season with salt. Repeat with the remaining chive flowers.
In a large bowl, toss the greens with the wasabi dressing. Season the salad with salt and pepper and mound on 4 plates. Top the salads with the fried chive blossoms and serve immediately.