- 2 pounds eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice (11 cups)
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
- Pita wedges and crudités, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a large bowl, toss the eggplant with 1 tablespoon of salt. In a large saucepan fitted with a large steamer basket, bring 1 inch of water to a simmer. Add the eggplant to the basket, cover and steam over moderate heat until tender, about 30 minutes. Transfer the steamed eggplant to a colander set over a large bowl and let stand for 10 minutes, pressing lightly on the eggplant with a spoon to release some of the liquid.
In a food processor, combine the drained eggplant with the 1/2 cup of olive oil, the tahini, garlic, lemon juice, paprika and a generous pinch each of salt and pepper; pulse until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Scrape the baba ghanoush into a bowl, drizzle with olive oil and serve with pita wedges and crudités.
The baba ghanoush can be refrigerated for 3 days.