Avocado Relish with Caramelized Onions
- TOTAL TIME: 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: 12
Dean Fearing serves this chunky avocado condiment with turkey as an alternative to cranberry sauce. He likes the Southwestern richness it adds to turkey, particularly the lean breast meat; it's also terrific with the tortilla–corn bread dressing.
Chef Holiday Recipes Made Easy
Plus: Ultimate Thanksgiving Guide
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into 3/4-inch dice
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 4 large Hass avocados, cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon slivered basil leaves
- In a medium skillet, heat the oil. Add the onion, season with salt and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until richly browned, about 10 minutes; let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the sautéed onion with the lime juice, garlic, red pepper and jalapeño. Gently fold in the avocado and basil. Season with salt and serve.