Avocado Relish with Caramelized Onions
- TOTAL TIME: 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: 12
Dean Fearing serves this chunky avocado condiment with turkey as an alternative to cranberry sauce. He likes the Southwestern richness it adds to turkey, particularly the lean breast meat; it's also terrific with the tortilla–corn bread dressing.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into 3/4-inch dice
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 4 large Hass avocados, cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon slivered basil leaves
- In a medium skillet, heat the oil. Add the onion, season with salt and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until richly browned, about 10 minutes; let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the sautéed onion with the lime juice, garlic, red pepper and jalapeño. Gently fold in the avocado and basil. Season with salt and serve.
Make AheadThe avocado relish can be refrigerated overnight; press plastic wrap directly onto the relish.