- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into 3/4-inch dice
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 4 large Hass avocados, cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon slivered basil leaves
How to make this recipe
- In a medium skillet, heat the oil. Add the onion, season with salt and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until richly browned, about 10 minutes; let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the sautéed onion with the lime juice, garlic, red pepper and jalapeño. Gently fold in the avocado and basil. Season with salt and serve.
The avocado relish can be refrigerated overnight; press plastic wrap directly onto the relish.