Avocado, Feta and Cherry Tomato Salsa Flatbreads
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Chef Charlie Hallowell—a Chez Panisse alum—makes the dough for his colorful flatbreads, topping them with a fresh tomato salsa instead of sauce. Store-bought pizza dough works perfectly well, too.
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1/3 cup chopped mint
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 1 pound store-bought pizza dough, cut into 4 pieces
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 Hass avocado, peeled, pitted and thinly sliced
- In a bowl, toss the cherry tomatoes with the 1/2 cup of olive oil, shallot, mint, cilantro, vinegar and crushed red pepper. Season the salsa with salt and black pepper.
- Light a grill. On a lightly floured work surface, press and stretch each piece of dough to an 8-inch oval and brush with olive oil. Grill two dough ovals over moderately high heat, turning once, until puffed and lightly charred, 5 minutes. Transfer to a work surface. Repeat with the remaining dough. Spoon the salsa over the flatbreads and top with the feta and avocado. Cut the flatbreads into wedges and serve right away.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.