- 1/2 pound tomatillos—husked, cored and quartered
- 3 garlic cloves, lightly smashed and peeled
- 1 jalapeño, stemmed and halved
- 1 leek, white part only, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 Hass avocados—peeled, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Preheat the oven to 425°. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the tomatillos, garlic, jalapeño and leek with the oil and spread in a single layer. Roast the vegetables until lightly charred and softened, about 12 minutes. Transfer to a blender and let cool.
- Add the avocados, cilantro, sugar, cumin and 1/2 cup of water and puree until smooth. Add the onion, oregano and lime juice and pulse once or twice until incorporated. Transfer the salsa to a bowl and season with salt. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
The avocado-and-tomatillo salsa can be refrigerated overnight.
One Serving 73 cal, 6 gm fat, 0.8 gm sat fat, 6 gm carb, 2.6 gm fiber.