Avocado and Jack Cheese Sandwiches
- SERVINGS: 4
F&W's Grace Parisi created this staff favorite.
- 1/2 pound tomatillos, husked
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 2 scallions, white and tender green parts only, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 large jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Eight 1/2-inch-thick slices of sourdough bread
- 4 ounces arugula
- 2 Haas avocados, cut into thick slices
- 4 ounces sliced Monterey Jack cheese, at room temperature
- Heat a medium skillet until hot to the touch. Add the tomatillos and cook over high heat, turning, until blackened in spots but not mushy, about 5 minutes. Transfer the tomatillos to a plate. Add the oil to the skillet along with the cumin, coriander and cayenne and cook over moderate heat just until fragrant, about 30 seconds; let cool.
- Coarsely chop the tomatillos and transfer to a medium bowl. Add the scallions, garlic, jalapeño, cilantro, lime juice and spiced oil. Season the salsa with salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, stir the sour cream and mayonnaise with 1/2 cup of the salsa.
- Lightly toast the bread. Spread the creamy salsa on each slice of toast and top half of the slices with the arugula, avocados and Jack cheese. Close the sandwiches, cut them in half and serve with the remaining salsa on the side.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.