- 1 1/4 cups dry white wine
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- Two 2-inch strips of orange zest
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice berries, crushed
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 2 Granny Smith apples—peeled, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 Bosc pears—peeled, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 pitted prunes, halved
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- In a large saucepan or medium enameled cast-iron casserole, combine the wine with the orange juice and zest. Put the cinnamon and allspice in a double layer of cheesecloth, tie into a bundle and add to the pan, then bring to a boil, cover and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes. Add the apricots and raisins, cover and simmer until almost tender, about 5 minutes. Add the corn syrup, apples and pears and simmer over moderate heat until barely tender, about 5 minutes. Add the prunes, cranberries and vinegar and simmer until the cranberries are tender, about 4 minutes.
- Strain the fruit over a bowl and return the cooking liquid to the pan along with the spice bundle. Boil the liquid until reduced to 1 cup. Discard the spice bundle. Add the fruit to the bowl and pour the liquid over it. Stir to combine. Let cool to room temperature; serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.