Shaved Summer Squash with Lemon-Thyme Vinaigrette
- TOTAL TIME: 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 10
Chris Cosentino serves this crunchy salad as an appetizer at Incanto, with slender slices of fresh zucchini and yellow squash as well as bright lemon thyme. Regular thyme also works, along with a little freshly grated lemon zest.
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 pounds assorted yellow and green summer squash, such as yellow crookneck and baby zucchini, sliced lengthwise paper-thin on a mandoline
- 1 teaspoon lemon thyme leaves
- Aleppo pepper, for sprinkling (see Note)
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil with the lemon juice and vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, toss the sliced squash with the vinaigrette. Transfer to a large platter. Sprinkle with the lemon thyme and the Aleppo pepper and serve right away.
Notes Turkish Aleppo pepper is a mild chile similar to ancho. It is available at specialty food shops and online at Penzeys Spices.