Swiss Chard with Poblanos and Hominy
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4 Side-Dish Servings
Hominy turns roasted poblanos and Swiss chard into a hearty side dish. Wrapped in tortillas or served over rice, these greens are an excellent vegetarian main course.
More Healthy Vegetable Dishes
- 2 large poblano chiles
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, halved and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 pound Swiss chard, stems cut crosswise 1/2 inch thick, leaves cut into 1-inch ribbons
- 2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- One 15-ounce can hominy, drained
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Light a grill or preheat the broiler. Grill or broil the poblanos, turning frequently, until charred all over, about 4 minutes. Transfer the chiles to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let stand for 15 minutes. Peel and seed the poblanos and cut them into 1/2-inch thick strips.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the red onion and cook over moderately high heat until just softened, about 3 minutes. Add the Swiss chard stems and cook until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and poblanos and cook until the garlic is fragrant and the chiles are heated through, about 2 minutes. Add the chard leaves and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 6 minutes. Add the hominy and cook until heated through, 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper and transfer the stew to a bowl. Serve with lime wedges.