- One 1-pound loaf of seeded rye bread, cut into 1-inch dice
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons grainy mustard
- 3 tablespoon Champagne vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 10 ounces kielbasa, halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 1 1/4 cups sauerkraut, drained well
- Freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 350°. On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss the bread with 1/4 cup of the olive oil. Toast for 15 minutes, or until lightly golden around the edges. Transfer the bread to a large bowl.
In a small bowl, whisk the mustard with the vinegar and the remaining 6 tablespoons of olive oil.
In a large skillet, melt the butter. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the kielbasa and cook until it begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in the sauerkraut and cook until warm. Add the sausage and sauerkraut to the bread cubes, pour the dressing on top and toss well. Season with pepper and serve.