Roast Chicken with Aromatic Jus
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- One 3 1/2-pound chicken
- 1/2 small orange, quartered
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 scallions, cut crosswise into 2-inch lengths
- One 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Set the chicken, breast side up, in a medium roasting pan. Loosely stuff the cavity with the orange quarters, garlic, scallions and ginger. In a small bowl, mix the salt with the fennel and pepper. Rub the chicken with the sesame oil and season all over with the salt mixture.
- Roast the chicken in the center of the oven for 1 hour, or until the juices run clear and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the inner thigh registers 160°. Carefully scoop the aromatics from the cavity into the roasting pan. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, squeeze the juice from the orange quarters and discard the peels. Set the roasting pan over moderately high heat. Add the chicken broth and simmer for 1 minute, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Strain the pan juices into a gravy boat or small serving bowl and spoon off the fat. Carve the chicken and serve with the jus.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.