- 2 cups French green lentils, rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- 1/2 small red onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 ounces thinly sliced Genoa salami, sliced into 1/2-inch thick strips
- 1/2 cup pitted green picholine olives, halved lengthwise
- 8 large basil leaves, thinly sliced
How to make this recipe
- In a large saucepan, cover the lentils with plenty of water, bring to a simmer and add the bay leaf. Cook over moderately low heat until the lentils are tender, about 25 minutes. Drain well and discard the bay leaf.
- In a large bowl, whisk the mustard with the red wine vinegar. Slowly whisk in the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Add half of the spinach and toss with the hot lentils and red onion until the spinach has wilted. Season the salad with salt and pepper and let stand for 10 minutes. Just before serving, toss the salad with salami, olives, basil and the remaining spinach. Serve warm or at room temperature.