Grilled Tomatillo Bread Salad
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 2 cups diced baguette (1/2 inch)
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 tomatillos (1 pound), husked and rinsed
- 2 jalapeños
- 2 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Pinch of sugar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups torn frisée
- 4 ounces queso fresco or ricotta salata, crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a large bowl, toss the diced bread with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Spread the bread on a large, rimmed baking sheet and toast in the oven for 10 minutes, or until golden and crisp. Let cool.
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Rub the tomatillos, jalapeños and garlic cloves with 1 tablespoon of the oil and grill over high heat, turning frequently, until charred and softened slightly, about 8 minutes.
- Peel and mash the garlic to a paste. In a large bowl, whisk the garlic paste with the lime juice, sugar and the remaining 1/3 cup of olive oil. Season the dressing with salt and pepper. Peel and seed the jalapeños; finely chop them and add them to the bowl. Chop the tomatillos and add them to the bowl along with the frisée, baguette croutons and queso fresco. Season the salad with salt and pepper, toss well and serve immediately.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.