Braised Chicken with Artichokes and Mushrooms
- ACTIVE: 40 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs with skin (6 ounces each)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 ounces cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 1 1/2 cups Chardonnay
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 6 ounces frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and dust with the flour. In a large, ovenproof skillet, melt the butter in the oil. Add the chicken thighs, skin side down, and cook over high heat, turning once, until browned, 12 to 14 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a large plate and pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the fat in the pan.
- Add the onion and mushrooms to the skillet and cook over low heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the wine and cook over high heat until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Add the stock, bay leaf, thyme and artichoke hearts and bring to a boil. Return the chicken to the pan skin—side up and braise uncovered in the oven for 45 minutes, or until the thighs are cooked through.
- Return the skillet to the stove. Stir in the cream and boil until the sauce is slightly reduced, about 5 minutes. Discard the thyme and bay leaf, if desired, before serving.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.