- 1/2 teaspoon ghost chile powder (see Note)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
- 4 pepper jack cheese slices
- 4 soft potato rolls, toasted
- Mayonnaise, sliced red onion, pickled jalapeños and cilantro, for serving
How to make this recipe
- In a small bowl, mix the ghost chile powder and salt.
- Light a grill and oil the grate. Form the meat into four 5-inch patties and season with the chile salt. Grill over moderately high heat until lightly charred on the bottom, 3 minutes. Flip the burgers, top with the cheese and grill until medium-rare, about 3 minutes more.
- Set the burgers on the buns. Spread the tops with mayonnaise and garnish with sliced red onion, pickled jalapeños and cilantro; serve.
Ghost chiles, also called bhut jolokia, are about 150 times hotter than jalapenos.
Lightly toasty ale.